Quick Start Guide
Here are some things to think about when crafting your mud kitchen:
- Construct furniture, fixtures, and the space at child height.
- Incorporate multiple levels or work surfaces, doors, and things for hanging.
- Set it directly in or next to the supply of dirt and other organic materials.
- Locate it in shade or partial shade if hot summer days discourage play.
- Provide self-serve water nearby for play.
- Establish other areas within the yard as part of the mud kitchen experience.
- Use real kitchen tools and model real cooking behavior.
- Include tools across a spectrum of function: stirring, scooping, pouring, mixing, baking, washing, etc.
- Forage in advance if ingredients are not easily accessible.
- Avoid elaborate designs or using new materials to remove barriers to starting.
- Design the kitchen for multiple children so friends can easily participate.
- Avoid soil or areas with chemicals or dangerous construction debris.
- Ensure an outside water source for easy cleanup.